Sunburn is a nasty beast that inevitably rears its head every Summer. We know that it hurts — a lot — and we know that it makes us look like lobsters. . . But did you know exactly how long it takes to burn (you might be surprised), what is actually happening to your skin (it's pretty remarkable) and how you can treat it? There's also a lot to know about other side effects of sunburn — and wait until you read how much a sunburn increases your risk of skin cancer. Click through to find out, and take care this Summer!
Christmas always seems to be one of the hottest days of the year. And while there might not be snow, eggnog or hot turkey dinners, we still like to indulge in a few warm alternatives. A Christmas seafood feast or sizzling BBQ is the perfect choice to share with family and friends and can be a healthy swap to heavy, calorie-rich dishes. This recipe from award-winning chef, Massimo Mele, is a cinch to make and will no doubt be a big hit for any occasion over the Summer holidays. Just keep reading for the full recipe.
- Party season is upon us, so read these tricks to avoid stress and steer clear of holiday weight gain.
- Musical duo Beyoncé and Jay Z have taken on a December challenge and gone vegan for 22 days.
- Not losing weight? Check out these reasons as to why running might not be helping.
- There's a new workout in town and it's called Pound. It's a fusion of cardio and drumming, will you try?
- Be the hostess with the mostess by whipping up one of these healthy (and yummy) appetisers.
- There's no better time to be making some healthy habits, so start by penciling in a detox day.
- If you're looking to make your workouts more effective, just make these five simple switches.
- New season, new workout wear. And we have 10 of our favourite Summer pieces to shop from lululemon.
If your buying for someone who prefers being close to nature and in the thick of it, chances are they're not one for glamping. Stylish camping gear fits somewhere in the middle, and by taking the time to pick some stuff they'd just as likely keep in their house, their next trip bush will be just that little bit more comfortable (and pretty).
Want more Christmas inspiration? See our other gift guides.
If you're a fan of exercises that work your body without machines, weights, or equipment, try doing mountain climbers! A POPSUGAR Fitness favourite, this exercise works the lower body and the core and is a great form of cardio. Learn how to do the complete move below.
- Start in a traditional plank — shoulders over hands and weight on just your toes.
- With your core engaged, bring your right knee forward under your chest, with the toes just off the ground. Return to your basic plank. Switch legs, bringing the left knee forward.
- Keep switching legs and begin to pick up the pace until it feels a little like running in place in a plank position.
- Continue "running" in your plank for one minute.
Fit tip: For a stint of cardio during weight workouts, use this exercise as an active break in between exercises or reps.
Squats — you love 'em, you hate 'em, or you love to hate 'em. In any case, they are a simple, effective, and versatile move to have in your workout arsenal. Squats work your entire lower body: calves, hamstrings, glutes, quads, and lower back. They help prevent injuries caused by imbalance or overuse, and they also help with your balance. Whether you are new to the squat world or are bored with your normal workout, here are seven squat variations to add to your Summer routine.
— Additional reporting by Leta Shy
New month, new pictures of celebrities sweating it out. Whether they're at the gym, running the streets of Hollywood or hiking up hills, there's no doubt about it, we like looking to them for inspiration — workout wear included! Alessandra Ambrosio was seen sporting a cute yellow combo and Julianne Hough has a cute vest we want to get out hands on. Click though to see who else was spotted out and about this month and keep checking back for new weekly updates.
Need more of a celebrity-at-the-gym fix? See more here.
The holidays are the perfect excuse for socialising and often with snacks. Chips and dip are often the high-calorie culprit, but we have recipes low in calories but full of flavour. From vegan bites to protein-packed dips, these appetisers make it easy to create a satisfying menu minus the guilt. With a few simple swaps — like opting to bake (not fry) — you will be the healthiest hostess this season!