Slightly obsessed with tracking your workouts? Grab your iPhone and discover the wonderful world of free (or dirt cheap) running apps. The built-in GPS allows you to track your run no matter where you are: on trails, busy neighbourhoods, or dirt roads. Whether you want an actual Google Map of your route, a calendar showing off the days you worked out, or to share your workouts with your pals on Facebook or Twitter — there's an app for that.
As we've told you before, while there are ethical guidelines surrounding this use of the term "natural" in beauty, there aren't actually any legal guidelines. Which means as everyone becomes more interested in sustainable and organic living, there's a dangerous trend towards greenwashing — claiming a product is more natural or organic than it actually is. To avoid this happening and ensure that you're fully equipped to judge a product based on its claims, there's a great app that's worth knowing about: Eco-Labels ($0.99). The brainchild of Consumer Reports, the app reviews all claims from a product — from it being hypoallergenic to organic — and tells you whether it actually is or not. It covers everything from food to beauty products making it a great addition to your life. The only downside is that it's a US-based app so we do miss out on local knowledge, but that's where Shop Ethical! ($4.49) comes in. Using information based on the Ethical Consumer Guide website it rates over 3,800 products found in local supermarkets based on assessments from Greenpeace, Choose Cruelty Free, WWF, Responsible Shopper and Friends of the Earth. Between the two you're on the way to being a greener shopper.
Today brought the sad news of the passing of former Apple CEO Steve Jobs, so we're paying tribute by bringing you the top 20 fashion apps for your iPhone. These handy apps are sure to make your bus ride/train trip/hairdresser appointment a whole lot more enjoyable, so check them out and download with caution — these little puppies are trés addictive!
- Shopstyle Australia: By the Sugar Network! Brings together all the retailers offering the latest products delivered straight to your door.
- Victoria's Secret: Access to the online store, plus images and updates.
- Gucci Style: Lets you view the latest collections and store listings, plus the Gucci Beats feature, where you can mix music compiled by Mark Ronson.
- DVF: Shop the collection, find the closest stores, and get the latest news.
- eBay: Search, bid and buy. Enough said.
- Chanel: We couldn't go past this. View the latest looks, trailers and accessories.
- Vogue VIP: Stay in the know on the latest from Vogue Australia magazine.
- Style.com: Access all the latest fashion shows in an easy-to-use format.
- Teen Vogue Snapshot: Keep up to date with Teen Vogue’s cute take on trends and upload pictures of your own personal style.
- Net-a-Porter: Isabel Marant and Chloé while you walk/rest/play? Hello, ’nuff said.
The new iPhone 4S can be ordered later this week — if you want to know all the techie ins and outs of why it's better than the regular iPhone 4, speak to our tech guys, they've got all that covered — all we know is surely that means it's some time for some fresh beauty apps, no? So if you want to learn how to French braid while you're on the bus, find a new haircut before you hit the salon or even fight a blemish at your desk, these are the iPhone apps for you.
Given the busy party season, you may have missed the launch of iSurgeon, the latest iPhone App that gives you more than a little insight to the world of cosmetic surgery. Miami-based surgeon Dr. Michael Salzhauer, who penned My Beautiful Mommy which guides kids through their parents' surgery, created the App that allows you to see what you'd look like after say, a Brazilian Buttlift. Which I know, I'd use—c'mon, you'd be too intrigued not to. But it also lets you play the role of the surgeon and road-test your skills. With the promise of "realistic sound effects," it's enought to put me off my mid-morning snack. Would you use it?